Sunday, June 26, 2011

Review : Speak

When Melinda Sordino's friends discover she called the police to quiet a party, they ostracize her, turning her into an outcast -- even among kids she barely knows. But even worse than the harsh conformity of high-school cliques is a secret that you have to hide.
- from Goodreads
When I started this book, it made me flash back to my first day of high school and how much I hated it. But if I thought my first day was nerve recking, I can't imagine being in Melinda's shoes and facing her first day. High schools bad enough as it is already. Luckily I just finished and never have to go back again!
Anyways, I love how accurate this book is about high school. I agreed with so much of what Melinda was talking about. I felt  awful for Melinda and the secret she had to hide. She had no one to confide in. Her friends all abandoned her and hated her for something that, in comparison to what she went through, is so insignificant. 
I loved that Melinda would express her feelings through art. That's something that I have been doing for as long as I can remember and its extremely alleviating. And her art teacher reminded me of my art teacher and the way that he made you feel like your art was great and appreciated, even if it might have been the worst in the class.
This book should definitely be read by everyone. Its dark yet inspiring. It shows that if we decide, we can get over difficult times and go on with our lives.
Rating: 7