Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Review: Three Dark Crowns

Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
Three Dark Crowns
Kendare Blake
Hardcover, 398 pages
Published September 20th 2016 by HarperTeen


In every generation on the island of Fennbirn, a set of triplets is born—three queens, all equal heirs to the crown and each possessor of a coveted magic. Mirabella is a fierce elemental, able to spark hungry flames or vicious storms at the snap of her fingers. Katharine is a poisoner, one who can ingest the deadliest poisons without so much as a stomachache. Arsinoe, a naturalist, is said to have the ability to bloom the reddest rose and control the fiercest of lions.

But becoming the Queen Crowned isn’t solely a matter of royal birth. Each sister has to fight for it. And it’s not just a game of win or lose…it’s life or death. The night the sisters turn sixteen, the battle begins.

The last queen standing gets the crown.

Oh Lord, what a ride this book was!


Plot: The plot of this book was so original that as soon as I read it, it went straight in my arms to the check out desk! It was a little slow at the beginning but I didn't have a problem with that! It was for the purpose of world building and I appreciated that! However, once it got to the middle, It was so full of suspense and juicy drama and I was loving it! I didn't predict half the things that happened and found myself reading through the chapters quickly just to find out what was gonna happen next! Also, there is a lot of politics in this book and it was all so entertaining! And the ending left me shook!

Characters: The three sisters were great! I seriously loved them all! I did initially have a favorite but towards the end I just couldn't pick! Katherine was the one I pitied the most because she clearly was in need of some love. Arsinoe was my initial favorite because of her awesome personality and because she was obviously the underdog (I'm a sucker for underdogs). And Mirabella was suppose to be the strongest one out of the three but ended up being a sweet girl who was flawed and sensitive. It was such a contrast from who we expected her to be and I sorta enjoyed that! There were also a bunch of side characters! Some I liked, others I hated...

At its best: Getting to know the sisters was so enjoyable! The political aspects are also one of the most entertaining parts of the book! And the world that Blake created was so fascinating! The Island was mysterious and intriguing and I really hope they discuss the magic system of it in the next book!

At its worst: The worst thing about this book was Jules and Joseph, side characters in Arsinoe's chapters that sometimes overpowered them! I could not stand Joseph! Definition of fuck boy! And Jules was so boring and stereotypical and an awful friend to Arsinoe. Their romance was boring and selfish! I really could have done without them! I hope Joseph dies in the next book... 


Read again: Definitely!

Continue series: I cant wait for the next book that comes out in September! Blake knew what she was doing with that ending and I love/hate her for it!

Final thoughts: It was so good! I know its slow at first but just get to the middle and you'll be hooked! Its such a dark, mysterious and Intriguing read! absolutely loved it!

Rating: 9/10