Monday, December 26, 2011

Review: Bitter End by Jennifer Brown


When Alex falls for the charming new boy at school, Cole, a handsome, funny, sports star who adores her, she can't believe she's finally found her soul mate-someone who truly understands her and loves her for who she really is.

At first, Alex is blissfully happy. Sure, Cole seems a little jealous of her relationship with her best friends, Zack and Bethany, but what guy would want his girlfriend spending all of her time with another boy? But as the months pass, Alex can no longer ignore Cole's small put-downs, pinches, or increasingly violent threats. As Alex struggles to come to terms with the sweet boyfriend she fell in love with and the boyfriend whose "love" she no longer recognizes, she is forced to choose - between her "true love" and herself.


To be honest, I didn't think I'd like Bitter End to much but I actually turned out really liking it. Jennifer Brown definitely knows how to write teenagers without making them sound cheesy or unrealistic. And she truly knows how to write about a tough subject and letting you see through the victim's perspective instead of from the outsiders.

The best thing in the whole book where the characters. Like I said before, she did an excellent job writing the teenagers in this book. They were so realistic and familiar. My favorite character was definitely Zack. He cracked me up! I literally laughed out loud at some of the things he would do or say. And yes my least favorite character is Cole. I felt no sympathy for him at all when he came back apologizing nor did I feel bad for him because of the dad he had.

 The friendship that Alex, Bethany, and Zack share is the thing that I most related to. I have a little group like that and I know what it feels like when one of them gets a boyfriend and then things change and you feel like they've been taken away from you. So I feel like I connected with Bethany and Zack the most even though Alex was the main character. I was very depressed with the ending. I kind of hoped that everything would just go back to normal but I guess it ended in the more realistical way.

This is a great book that I would recommend to anyone. Not just teenagers but even adults because abuse realtionships can form in any age group.

Rating: 8

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate every single comment, so Thank You so much!
I am going to try my best to respond back to everyone who comments.

Once again Thank You :)