Tuesday, January 2, 2018

2017 wrap up!

Hello! Its officially 2018! Isn't it crazy!? I cant believe the its already the new year! But now its time to reflect back on last year! I can honestly say that 2017 was a pretty good year for me! Not just reading wise but just in general! But we're gonna focus on the reading aspect of my life.

So I have come up with 4 lists to kind of cover the feel of last year!
  • Most Disappointing
  • Most Surprising 
  • Worst books
  • Best books
This post is part one and will be covering the most disappointing and the most surprising!

Most Disappointing
These are books that I expected to like so much more that I did or just weren't what I was hoping for! Probably overhyped by booktube or bookstragram! 

You (You, #1)




1. You by Caroline Kepnes 
This book was good but I just really wanted the ending to have been different. It basically predicted it from page one...





Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)





2. Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge 
It wasn't exactly what I was expecting. I didn't really understand the world and overall was just kind of meh.




Fangirl




3. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
I really wanted to enjoy this book but the main character just wouldn't allow me to. Cath was such an immature, rude character and I just couldn't understand why so many people like her. And the story didn't wrap up many of the issues in it. And to top it all off, I was uncomfortable with the relationship in the story. 


A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic, #1)





4. A Darker Shade Of Magic by V.E. Schwab 
So this book wasn't bad by any means but I did expect to love it. And I didn't. Which sucks because I feel like everyone and their dog is crazy about this series! I just felt underwhelmed the whole time I was reading it. The characters weren't fleshed out enough and the ending felt liked it wrapped up way too conveniently. I expected so much more!!!




Most Surprising
These are books that I didn't really have any expectations towards or that I had low expectations on and they managed to better than I thought they would be!

The Young Elites (The Young Elites, #1)




1.  The Young Elites By Marie Lu
I wanted to like this book but felt like I probably wasn't. And I actually really enjoyed it! I felt ok about half the book and then the ending just blew me away! After this first book I knew the whole trilogy was gonna be a new favorite!



The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1)





2. The Raven Boys by Maggie Stievfater
I didn't expect anything from this book and went in not really knowing anything about it. It was a little hard to get into because it is so character driven but before I knew it I was obsessing over these people's lives! I loved this book and I genuinely didn't even consider that I would!


The Fire Lord's Lover (The Elven Lords, #1)




3. The Fire Lord's Lover by Katherine Kennedy
Now this book I went in fully expecting to just have a good laugh and enjoy the cheesy storyline. And while I did do some of that... I actually really liked this book! I ended up giving it 4 stars so that should really tell you something!




Shadow and Bone (Grisha Verse, #1)




4. Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
I had no expectations going in to this book. I just picked it up and decided "why not!" and boy was my life turned upside down! I am now obsessed with this series and with this world and one character in particular... basically the most surprising book of all! I'm so happy I decided to give this book a go!




So there we go! Most disappointing and surprising! Next post will be Best and Worst books of 2017!!